At shortly after 1945 ET, a massive 8.2 (revised up from 8.0) earthquake hit close to the coast of Chile:
- *MAGNITUDE 8.0 QUAKE HITS OFF COAST OF CHILE, USGS REPORTS
- *CHILE QUAKE MAGNITUDE REVISED UP FROM 8.0 TO 8.2 BY USGS
- *FLASH: TSUNAMI WARNING ISSUED AFTER MAGNITUDE 8.0 QUAKE HITS OFF
- *QUAKE CUTS ELECTRICITY SUPPLY TO MUCH OF ARICA, CHILE: TVN
The BBC reports the quake was shallow (which means it felt more powerful) and the tsunami wave's arrival is imminent.
Copper prices was jumping on the news as the region is an active mining area.
- *TECK SAYS QUEBRADA BLANCA COPPER MINE UNAFFECTED BY QUAKE
- *PAN PACIFIC SAYS NO DAMAGE AT CASERONES COPPER MINE AFTER QUAKE
For some context of how big this is...