UPDATE: Dutch fighter jets were scrambled after Russian bombers approached Dutch airspace; the Russian planes turned away
With both sides appearing to have entirely un-de-escalated and the truce deal now a thing of the past (besides a few hundred Dow points), the Russians are speaking up today - and are not happy:
- RUSSIA IS EXTREMELY SURPRISED BY KIEV AND WASHINGTON'S "DISTORTED" INTERPRETATION OF AGREEMENT REACHED IN GENEVA LAST WEEK ON DE-ESCALATION OF UKRAINE CRISIS - FOREIGN MINISTRY
- RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY SAYS KIEV AND WASHINGTON "CLOSING THEIR EYES" TO PROVOCATIVE ACTIONS BY NATIONALIST FORCES IN UKRAINE
And, on the heels of Turchynov's official restart of the so-called anti-terrorist operation, Russia is calling on Ukraine to pull back military from Ukraine's southeast... and rattles its sabre by undertaking a military exercise on the border.
Russia is surprised by distorted interpretation of Geneva accord from govts of Ukraine, U.S., RIA Novosti reports, citing Russia’s Foreign Ministry.*RUSSIA CALLS ON UKRAINE TO REMOVE MILITARY FROM SOUTHEAST: RIARussia says Ukraine, U.S. closing eyes to provocations by right-wing extremists: RIARussia still believes partners are serious about resolving crisis in Ukraine: RIA
and in addition
- RUSSIAN MILITARY CONDUCTS MILITARY EXERCISE IN ROSTOV REGION, BORDERING UKRAINE - DEFENCE MINISTRY OFFICIAL
All of this sets the scene for an important set of meetings next week...
Russia ready to host EU, Ukraine energy officials in Moscow or consider other cities for talks, Russian Energy Ministry spokeswoman Olga Golant says by phone.Golant confirms EU Energy Commissioner Guenther Oettinger invited Russia to gas talksSlovakia planning talks on use of gas pipeline in reverse to supply Ukraine on Apr. 28 in Bratislava, Eustream pipeline operator spokesman Vahram Chuguryan says by phone
So to sum it all up:
- The truce deal is dead
- Russia blames Ukraine/West for breaking deal and misunderstanding it
- Ukraine/West blame Russia for not unilaterally pulling back its forces
- Russia is warning Ukraine to pullback military from Russia-held southeast Ukraine ("or there will be retaliation")
- Russia is rattling its sabre by military exercises on the Ukraine border (after US sends another warship into the Black Sea)
- Against all this tension, gas pipeline talks are set to begin shortly.